VP of Finance and Operations
Action Network is a mission-driven organization, providing digital organizing tools to the progressive movement in the US and around the world. Our tools have powered many of the largest mobilizations of the last 5 years, like the Women’s March, Black Friday protests, the school walkouts for gun safety, groups fighting for immigrant rights, and many others working for a fairer and more just society. Some of the largest and most prominent organizations use our tools to power their activism, from traditional labor unions to the newest grassroots groups formed in the last two years. We combine traditional SaaS operations with unique cooperative development and financing structures to create a company that produces innovation that makes a real impact.
We are growing substantially, and we are looking to add a key member of our leadership team to help manage our financial and operational future. We want to continue to build a thriving not-for-profit business that reflects our progressive values, including a workplace environment that prioritizes the people who work here, and is based on a sustainable business model.
As a key member of the executive management team, the VP of Operations & Finance will work closely with the ED and the Board of Directors to transfer the Finance function from an outsourcing relationship to a full time internal executive position. The newly created VP position will report directly to the ED and will execute and manage all finance functions, prepare all financial reports, develop and implement strategic financial goals and key initiatives across the organization. This is a hands-on professional who will be the first full-time finance professional in the organization. Action Network is committed to creating a workplace that reflects our values: a commitment to the progressive movement and equity; transparency and collaboration; and respect and shared ownership of our tools and work. The VP will have a key role in helping to develop and deepen this culture through leading the organization’s operations and HR functions as the organization grows and evolves.
Accounting & Compliance
- Responsible for all Accounting and Controls within the organization.
- Prepare monthly and annual financial statements.
- Ensure proper maintenance of all accounting systems and functions.
- Oversee maintenance of appropriate internal controls and financial procedures.
- Ensure timelines, accuracy, and usefulness of financial and management reporting for executives, partners, funders, foundations, and board of directors.
- Coordinate audits and proper filing of tax returns.
- Ensure legal and regulatory compliance regarding all financial functions.
- Remain up-to-date on audit best practices.
- Track and project financial performance across multiple software toolsets, including evaluating pricing models and other key income and expense factors of fiscal sustainability
- Supervise the HR Function to ensure that hiring and retention practices meet not just legal requirements and organization procedures, but are best in class
- Ensure that employee trainings and orientations for staff and board are up-to-date, effective, and meaningful
- Work with leadership team to ensure a collaborative, team-oriented, enriching workplace culture that prioritizes staff satisfaction and professional growth
- Supervise the Office Management function, ensuring purchasing of common supplies and equipment for office.
- Search for ways to more efficiently conduct business.
- Negotiate with vendors as needed.
Demonstrated knowledge of accounting/finance/business, such as a BA in Accounting/Finance/Business Administration; a CPA and/or MBA would be a plus.
- Willingness to be a hands-on executive team member
- High proficiency with common accounting software and Excel.
- At least five (5) years’ experience in a financial management role, preferably with experience in a nonprofit with a budget of at least $3 million.
- Experience partnering with executive staff, resulting in the development and implementation of innovative fiscal, management and operational strategies.
- Demonstrated experience implementing operational priorities.
- Experience in or knowledge of nonprofit fiscal management.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated leadership ability, team management, and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent analytical and abstract reasoning skills, plus excellent organization skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively with staff and contractors at all levels.
- Well-developed organizational skills and attention to detail.
- An innovative mindset that values teamwork and collaboration internally.
- A strong commitment to social justice, equity and AN’s mission to support progressive organizing, as well as an understanding of the movement we serve
- Deep understanding – and ability to articulate – the role equity, inclusion, and diversity plays in our work.
Desired Qualifications(not required):
- Experience working with an organization that has some technology focus
- Working with a non-profit Board of Directors, specifically around implementation of a strategic plan.
Action Network is dedicated to creating workplace culture and policies that fully support our staff. As part of that, we provide a range of benefits, including:
- Health Care Plan (Medical, Dental & Vision)
- Retirement Plan (401k); Action Network will contribute 3% of base salary
- Unlimited vacation time with a minimum of two weeks per year
- Generous sick and safety leave
- Twelve weeks of parental leave
- Short Term & Long Term Disability
- Training & Development, including the opportunity to "embed" with our partner organizations
- Flexible work hours and locations with the potential for remote work
- Flexible $200/month technology stipend
The salary for this position is $100,000+ depending on experience and qualifications.